Last Updated on April 28, 2023
Perhaps you are feeling so exhausted and drained that you simply might be having a hard time going about your day-to-day activities in case you are afflicted with depression. You might even feel so exhausted that you could hardly get the energy to get dressed each day.
Many people with depression suffer with restless legs syndrome, along with being exhausted.
Outward indications of fatigue and sleepiness during the day could even be side effects of specific drugs used to treat depression. Discuss your symptoms with your physician as soon as you can, as she or he might be able to adjust your dosage to correct your sleep difficulties.
Moreover, sleep specialists may also be in a position to help you in finding a solution to your difficulties. Outward indications of sleep disorders and mental illnesses such as depression can be related, that is just another reason you need to talk about all your symptoms to your doctor. Treating your depression may help with your dearth of energy, and treating an underlying medical condition that triggers sleepiness can boost your quality of life.
Depression Treatment: Energy Boosters to Help Manage Depression
Below are some simple lifestyle changes that may help improve your energy levels:
- Keep a healthful, balanced diet to ensure you are getting all of the nutrients you should perform at your best.
- Drink plenty of water. Being dehydrated can zap your energy levels.
- Maintain a regular exercise program. Keeping physically fit can enable you to stay energized.
- Practice relaxation techniques like yoga or meditation to balance tension in your lifetime.
- Keep daily schedule and a manageable workload.
- Prevent or remove situations that are trying.
- Prevent smoking, alcohol, and drug use.
- Stay active even if you’re tired. Go out and meet with friends, or simply tackle some housework.
Depression Treatment: Getting Sleep Habits Back on a Healthy Path
Making some little adjustments may enable you to sleep more soundly at night:
- Keep a regular sleep schedule. Rise at precisely the same time every day, even if you’re feeling tired.
- Avoid resting or sleeping throughout the day, especially close to bedtime.
- Exercise before in the day.
- In case you awaken throughout the night time, go to another room and make an effort to relax by reading or listening to music.
- If you drink caffeinated beverages, keep them to a minimum and do not drink any after 4 p.m.
Depression Treatment: Other Energy-Enhancing Treatments
Research implies that symptoms of tiredness can also be alleviated very efficiently with psychotherapy (talk therapy). Psychotherapy in addition has been proven to enhance people’s overall health.
Another treatment theory which could help with energy issues is the head-body approach, which looks at how the body and also the head function collectively. From eating to move, exactly how we use our body, can influence our mental, psychological, and physical well-being. Shrink James S. Gordon, MD, a clinical professor in the departments of psychiatry and family medicine at Georgetown University School of Medicine in Washington, D.C., and creator and manager of the Center for Mind-Body Medicine, says that mind-body approaches can help with depression.
Mind-body techniques include relaxation, meditation, hypnosis, self-expression in words, exercise, as well as music and artwork therapy and yoga.
“Mind-body approaches give people the help to first relax a little so they are not quite so overwhelmed by whatever emotions or ideas are coming up,” Dr. Gordon says. “They become more relaxed in the physiological sense, and they become less preoccupied making use of their fears.”
He says that mind-body techniques can “help people live better, make better choices, and maybe even — although this is not so clear — considerably prolong their life.”
However you choose to handle your insufficient energy associated with melancholy, remember that you’re not alone. Remain joined — contemplate joining a support group to exchange info with others who also have depression. Discussing your problems and discussing what you are feeling in these forums may also help you cope with your symptoms of depression.